Monday, February 27, 2006

Kraftwerk - The Man Machine

Some of the words come to mind when you listen to this album include "delicate", "artificial" and sometimes "prophetic". "The Man Machine" (1979) was Kraftwerk's seventh studio album, in which they continue their trend of what on the surface seems like naive praise for modern technology and the comforts it provides. Closer examination reveals a wariness which doesn't quite become fear, but it's still like a warning of sorts, which is what I meant by "prophetic".

Kraftwerk (German for "powerplant") were well ahead of their time, releasing albums which are composed entirely of analog synthesizer sounds with little or no recorded material besides vocals.

Recently, Coldplay sampled Kraftwerk's Computer Love (from "Computer World") for their single Talk (X&Y) after Chris Martin (a Kraftwerk fan) wrote a letter in halting German to Ralf Hütter.

Spesh mention: The Model, Spacelab and The Man Machine

Rating: 4/5

Additional trivia: many Malayalam movies produced in the '80s seemed to like using Kraftwerk, in particular, The Model as a stereotypical "western music" prop :)

9 comments:

Sonia said...

you talk about music all the time! how is that about you, urself and ur injured eye?

Vaish said...

Acutally, I'm very glad you talk about music! :)

Please _keep talking_... ;)

Jim said...

Sonia,
For some of us, it's all about the music. It may be difficult to understand, but do try. Besides, you really don't want to hear about me, myself or my eye!

Vaish,
Thanks! With all my "High Hopes" at music reviews, it's good to know someone actually reads it... looks like I really will get by With a Little Help From My Friends!

the wannabe indian punkster said...

Hey thanks for ummmmmm...'pimping' my blog(for want of a better word) on "suryasbest.blogspot.com".....
"I wanna make friendship with you" now.......:D
cheers!
Megha

Jim said...

My pleasure! But then again, look what it got me...

Anna said...

so you watch mallu movies...

Jim said...

Very rarely, mainly coz my mallu is really bad, so I need help figuring out the jokes :)

quills said...

This is exactly what I love about your blog...your continued exploration of the world of music. Your posts make me go and look up new artists or work of artists that until now I never heard. Thanks. 

Jim said...

Quills, thank you. I'm glad my posts have a positive effect :)

Lord knows, there's a lot to explore out there...