Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Caffeine nights

Lately, I've turned into my former nocturnal self, after getting hooked (again) onto coffee. The evil drink (!) was a huge part of last semester, but I managed to get off and stay off... until two weeks ago. So it's back to sleeping at 3 AM. Which is all good, except for the rest of the next day. You know you're too sleepy when you're looking at your monitor, then look down to a piece of paper on the table and wonder why there's no mouse pointer there... Well, anyway, I'm on detox now, so the jittery hands should go away... just what I need to solder properly! Speaking of which, my new boards have arrived! They look so slick, I'll post a pic tomorrow.

In other news, Fedora Core 5 should be released on March 20th! Gnome 2.14 goodness! I noticed that of late, the livna repositories have tapered off their updates to Fedora Core 4. Things like Firefox have been stuck at really old versions (would you believe, 1.0.7!) for some time now. The upgrade to FC5 should bump up the versions of many packages to current. On the other hand, FC5 now integrates the Beagle search tool into Nautilus... which may in itself be A Good Thing, but my experience with Beagle (on Suse 9.3) has been disappointing. Maybe it's my bias against "managed" language platforms like Java and Mono (which Beagle uses), but they always seem to think that "All Your Memory Are Belong to Us" until I kill the respective VM. Give me straight C any day! One problem which started way back in FC2 still remains: no out-of-the-box MP3 support. This means that until livna et al get FC5 repos up, I'll stick with FC4 so I can enjoy my music...

2 comments:

quills said...

Not even coffee keeps me awake at nite these days. :( 10 pm strikes and I am already snoring away.

Jim said...

You are *so* lucky! Send the sandman my way sometime, could really use the help!