Sunday, April 23, 2006

MyFirstTag™

Been blogging (if you can call it that) for only three months now, and I've been tagged already by Quills, so let's see how this goes.

Five people who top your shit list..... and why:

Only two are specific people. The rest, well, I thought long and hard and couldn't come up with any more people who I hate, so:

  1. My room mate who complains about everything I do
  2. Pseudos and other associated vermin who like to pretend they're someone they are not
  3. People who take me for granted
  4. Religious leaders who guilt-tripped me into believing in their deities.
  5. Me (sometimes)

Close brushes with death/danger:

I lived nice cushy, closeted life, so there aren't many. The closest, I would say, is when I got under the rail at Niagara falls when I was five. Apparently it took a lot of chocolate to get me back to safety.

Five Preferable modes of suicide, in descending order:

  1. Abduction by aliens
  2. Doing the superman thing
  3. Organophosphates
  4. Sodium Thiopental
  5. Sawed-off shotgun to the mouth (why hello, Mr. Cobain)

Five guilty pleasures:

  1. Onam Sadhyas :-)
  2. "Death by Chocolate" at Corner House, B'lore
  3. Peach Cobbler
  4. Penguin Caffeinated Mints
  5. Spending excessive time on that potential special someone

Five things you never want to forget:

  1. The hurt I felt the first time I let my crush know how I felt
  2. Finishing 12th standard and thinking "School's out forever"
  3. My first trip out to the Pawnee site and taking in the immense open space that's the American mid-west
  4. My trip to Paris :)
  5. Getting paid for the first time (well actually, using the ATM for the first time!)

Five things you wish to forget:

  1. See #1 above
  2. That I once ate duck food. This one's funny: it was at Sea World, SFO, I was five. The duck food dispensers worked the same way as gum ball machines, but didn't need a dime. So I turned the crank and stuffed my face with the resulting "free gum balls"... ouch.
  3. That my greatest dream once was to become a plumber. Stupid Nintendo...
  4. All of 7th standard.
  5. An incident in 3rd standard: we had this system of "demerits", teachers could award demerits for bad behaviour and when you accumulate three, you get detention that Friday. The school was run by sadistic harpies in habits who loathed the sight of us boys (was a girls school where boys studied up to 3rd std), one of whom gave me two demerits for hiding behind a pillar and screaming "boo" at my friend. The week that I got my third demerit, the principal introduced a rule that those who get detention must announce in front of the school why they got it. So I march up, knock-kneed, to the microphone and say "I got one for wearing the wrong shoes and two for scaring a boy". The whole school took about five minutes to calm the heck down.

Five really exotic dishes you have tried:

Downside to the cushy life: I've never tried anything particularly fancy, so anyway here goes:

  1. The "Mumbo" and "Rambo" rolls at Fanoos, B'lore. A friend made the disturbing observation that there are no stray dogs in that area...
  2. Pâté de foie gras, on a boat on the Seine :-) I almost missed this coz I didn't have a dinner jacket. I was all "wtf is a dinner jacket?"
  3. The samosas at Ashmath's canteen, SJBHS
  4. Fried Squid (yes, Quills, Calimari is a euphemism for wimps :-p )
  5. Cactus (thanks, Miguel!)

Five crushes/loves in your life... in chronological order:

Suprisingly, I've had only five real crushes in my life. Well, six, if you count one before my voice even cracked... lol!

  1. 9th standard. Ultrapopular girl from the school-across-the-road. The kind who had at least fifteen guys tracking her every move. I believe the only thing I've ever said to her is "Hi"
  2. 9th std to 11th std. Another one of the above. This time, I think I spoke one more word, which was "no", an answer to a question she asked someone else. This one was very bad, I asymptotically approached making a fool of myself.
  3. 12th std. Very sweet girl who lived nearby. We had the same bus route to school. She was going through a hard time, and I got entirely the wrong idea. Nuff said.
  4. 12th std. This one actually toyed with me, led me on and then gave me the finger. Ouch.
  5. First sem, BE. Love at second sight. Remember it like it was yesterday. We had something going for six years. Now we don't. (cue The Smashing Pumpkins' Muzzle)

Strangest dream you ever had:

Not exactly the kind who remembers dreams. I tried once to keep a 'dream log' (eek!) and it's sole entry documented this dream during Crush #4 (see above), how she hired someone to track me down and beat me up. Something about a railway station and lots of running.

Five most valued personal possessions:

  1. My 45 GB of music
  2. My iPod Nano and my Shure E2C earphones
  3. Beast and my Onkyo
  4. What's left of my sanity
  5. The fact that I took so long to come up with this list :)

Five favorite superheroes..... and why:

Not being the comic-book hero type, mine are a bit offbeat

  1. Batman: Dark. Brooding. Mysterious. Driven by revenge. Everything I always wanted to be.
  2. Spaceman Spiff: Bravely going where no six year old has gone before
  3. Captain Linger: Captain Linger, Captain Linger, the day he saves may be his own!
  4. Invader Zim: My almost-namesake. Not really a superhero (more like a bumbling idiot, actually), but loveable nonetheless.
  5. Motoko Kusanagi from "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex"

Now then:

DJ K, Harish, Karthik, Karthik and Vaishnavi

Rise, for I dub thee TAGGED!

7 comments:

abanith said...

thats the closest ive come to knowing u!

quills said...

Gosh!!!!!! I just wrote one huge comment, and it disappeared.

Ok..I shall try and rewrite.

Really had fun reading your tag. Enjoyed it thoroughly.:)

I was nodding quite vehemently as I read through your shit list. Any chance you can take a new roomie?

And the Niagara episode...glad you lived to narrate the tale. That must have been super scary for your parents. Thank God and Thank God for the lovely chocs. :)

And guilty pleasure..I so agree with you. How could I ever forget?? Knowing my love for chocolates, last time while visiting b'lore, a group of us went to Corner house and I got a chance to taste Death by Choc ..which was the yummiest,most awesome, mouthwatering, chocolate icecream. :) Loved it.


And your exotic dishes are quite exotic, although I feel your duck food should have made the list as well. :P

And I see...wimps is it..but, you gotta agree that calamari sounds way more exotic than a humble sounding fried squid. :)

Hahahah...sorry I should'nt laugh so much, but I can't help it, picturing a little boy going up on stage and proclaiming his "misdeeds" :)

45GB of music!!! Man!!! I thot I had a decent collection, but its is nowhere near yours. Well..its not even close..light years apart actually. Sigh!!!

And what size is your ipod? I am in the market to buy one, but can't decide what to pick. I like the iriver too,coz it comes with FM. But then reviews on CNET for the 20GB iriver were not so great. Maybe I should just get a 4 GB ipod. What do you think?

Jim said...

Hey Aba, welcome to my humble blog, glad to have enlightened you :)

Jim said...

Quills
Thanks for taking the time to re-write your comments :) They are most appreciated!

New roomies, yes, that's a strong driving force of late. If only I didn't have this lousy lease :(

Good to know that DBCs enjoy worldwide fame! Corner House rocks! You mind reader, you! I almost thought of cheating and putting in a sixth exotic dish featuring powdered soymeal and dried fish...

iPod: I have a 4GB Nano. Which means a lot of swapping music in and out... wish I bought a bigger one! Not having used the iRiver, I can't comment, but I feel if you're a hardcore music fan and have a large-ish collection, get a 30GB iPod Video. Be sure to get decent in-ear buds like my Shure e2cs or Sony MDR-EX71s.

h. said...

a friend of mine recently told me about her fanoos experience from a while back...she encountered a particularly chewy bit of meat and kept at it...eventually she had to give up and pulled it out to find that it was band-aid...

think it was one of those straydogs that visited the vet?

Vaish said...

Jim! :) Loved reading this post.
And finally got a chance to write my own. Here it is!

Jim said...

Harsha
lol! Or maybe it's the cook's bandage after he lost a fight with one of the strays... eugh! Still, Fanoos is a culinary experience without equal, which may be a good thing in more ways than one :)

Vaishnavi
Well done! Thanks for taking the time!