Sunday, April 29, 2007

Quarter Life Crisis?

I wonder if it's just normal that sometime in the mid-twenties, we all get so... numb. It's like the world's going by on fast-forward, and I'm standing and gawking at it, unable to do a thing. All around, people are going places, doing things, and I'm sort of wondering "how do I get a piece of that?"

In particular, I feel so disconnected with life as I knew it, just a few years ago. I don't do the same things I used to, don't listen to the same music, don't eat the same food. I don't know anybody now who I knew back then. The scary part is not that I don't know them or keep in touch, just that I don't feel the need to. Or to go back to the things that I used to be so passionate about. I wonder if this is normal, or just a byproduct of being caught up in a million things at once.

The odd thing about this post is that I thought of it while talking to a friend. Oh, the irony...

Edit: I just re-read that, and yes, I sound very selfish but I can't seem to help myself, these thoughts don't go away. :-(

5 comments:

kart said...

I echo your every sentiment. It's sad but I don't know what to do about it or even if I want to do anything about it.
Call me sometime :)

Jim said...

Jo,
Yep, yep, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone... and yes, I will give you a call soon.

Grafxgurl said...

HULLO!? youve been to concerts!! aaagh!!! i havent!!..
well.. as for the world running by you....if you stand and hug your DOME all the time you WONT get to do things!! so quit being radioactive!

Jim said...

Grafx,
I guess you're right, although it's still "concert", not "concerts". I shouldn't feel so sorry for myself. And perhaps maybe I should clarify that by "dome", you meant a radome and not leave things to peoples' imagination :-)

Perhaps it's time to pester Ed to take you to a concert or three?

Grafxgurl said...

eeeks!! i get it!! yes yes.. not your DOME .. but the other one!!
*runs away very fast before she gets decomposed by jim*